It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 am

Spells as Weapons?

Unbridled Fury was the first game that Furidion Games ever produced. It can do almost anything - tell us about your experiences in here!

Spells as Weapons?

Post by RedBlack » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:53 am

I'm working on a basic magic user for an adventurer company. It's my first go at Unbridled Fury magic. It appears that everything I want must be defined as a weapon.

A wand of fireballs (for instance) might be: Range 6 (16pts), Flame (25pts), Slow Reload (-10), Unreliable (-5) for a total 26 pts.

A sleep spell (touch only) might be: Ensnare (25pts), Slow Reload (-10), Unreliable (-5), Non-lethal (-10) for a total 0 pts.

A sleep-many could be: Range 6 (16pts), Ensnare (25), Small Blast (30), Slow Reload (-10), Unreliable (-5), Non-lethal (-10) for a total 46 pts.

I suppose that Stun could be used instead of Ensnare for a savings of 5 points per "spell".

Has anyone built a Tome of Unbridled Magic?
-- There's someone in my head but it's not me. -- Pink Floyd

Re: Spells as Weapons?

Post by Gaterohnn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:59 am

Magic is something that's been on the 'to-do' list for quite some time. It is still waiting for the rulebook to be done. (It is nearly done, just have to finalise the cover art and fine tune the innards.)

For now, the 'spells as weapons' works well, as does using rules like Shapeshifter for cast-on-self spells. Model properties have many potential options for the creative... ;)

I do think magic is important in any fantasy world and want an entire book dedicated to it. So I'm open to things that players would like to see included.

Post by RedBlack » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am

Shapeshifter? I'm not finding that in my copy.

But more to the point, there won't be specific magic rules in the upcoming release?

I'd be looking for some basics like light spells, boosting ally stats, summoning allies, disbursing undead, altering landscape, speaking to animals, compelling behavior, etc.
-- There's someone in my head but it's not me. -- Pink Floyd

Post by Gaterohnn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:36 pm

RedBlack wrote:Shapeshifter? I'm not finding that in my copy.

Whoops, my bad again. Should be 'Werecreature'.

RedBlack wrote:But more to the point, there won't be specific magic rules in the upcoming release?

The rulebook isn't getting an update so much as a tidy up. There are no plans to add to it other than fixes and format changes to bring it in line with how we are planning to distribute our games in future.
Any new rules will appear in new books. That has always been the plan. Since we are planning on distributing the PDFs for free, I think that's reasonable for most folks.

RedBlack wrote:I'd be looking for some basics like light spells, boosting ally stats, summoning allies, disbursing undead, altering landscape, speaking to animals, compelling behavior, etc.

Noted. I'll add them to the list. ;)

Return to Unbridled Fury